Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Manila- I miss Yah !



As the day gets closer I am getting excited. After 2 years and 2 months we are visiting my folks, my people. Our mini vacation of 2 weeks was not enough to just hang out and do what we want to do over there. Unfortunately Mike got sick so we are not able to go to Corrigidor as we plan. I can't count my several trips downstairs to use the lobby's phone, internet station, drugstore, market and grocery store. My legs and feet hurts. Thankfully my always abiding nephew Ej and little brother Marc always do whatever his sista wants... Even my mother has her own share of massaging my legs and feet. I almost forgot that we've been to the Mall of Asia several times too. Mike swore Makati last time, we go to Landmark almost everyday ! We stayed along the Roxas Blvd area this time so we have things to do and places to see.

When Mike feel better, he took the kids to the Manila Zoo. we met up with my friends, we went to get massage together, went to the market together, went to grocery together and eat at this awesome Japanese Restaurant together or course.. I wish we could have squeeze some R & R in Boracay Island but we dont have a lot of days to spare.

Also we got to see my Mama Tita which I haven't seen in like 10 years or so. She has changed. She lost weight. She's 82 years old now and can barely walk. I am so happy to see her again and I am sure she feels the same way. It brings back so many memories of my childhood . I grow up in that house, spend all my school vacation , saw her cook in that now seems to be a tiny kitchen to me. She always tag me along with her wherever she goes. The house in 1737 Luis Ma Guerrero S t Malate has so many history and memories that I often told Mike. I think that without my mother being offended, i got my love of shoes and clothes from her. Her good taste. I had my first experience of getting involve in the kitchen watching her cook and bake. And how can I forget that good ham and stuff chicken she makes on holidays. She asked Dylan to come closer and told him come here, you can be my grandson ! She told Mike I'm like her daugther which after all these years, it was the first time she utter those words. We talked and talked and when it was just the two of us in the room, she ask me " Are you happy" - I answered her with no hesitation. Yes , very much ! I sure pray and hope that God will give her more years to live so next time we visit, we can see her again.

At least we meet up with Anne(my good buddy) and Mon her husband. They brought along Bea, their adorable daugther at the Mall. Had yummy lunch at Gerry's grill and of to nowhere until we saw the bowling alley. yeah why not? We haven't bowl in years.. C'mon let's see if we has it. My first two shots are awesome. I only miss 1 pin, but when we change lanes.... The disaster happens. I am messning up the Coley's score. The Espiritu's are winning. I hate the left lanes.. It was a nice afternoon with our friends. Off to Baywatch tower condo where we are staying... Number one because I felt sick like I am getting a fever or an allergy and number 2 my feet hurts from my high heels. What the hell??? Why I am wearing a heels at the mall !!!!!

Well Dylan is at the condo, with my mom. We just love that there are lots of people there to watch Dylan for free. Eunice and Ej did not even wait a chance to eat the donuts we brought back from the mall.. Yum !
Did i even mention how cheap everything is over there. Food, taxi, massage etc etc. $1 = PHP 40.00. We felt like we don't have to worry about the price. We don't look at the prices for a change.

Also we took a day trip to go to my parents place. I haven't been there for over 5 years and it change a lot. I saw some familiar places and some faces that I don't know. It seems like that all houses are so close together now. Some of my cousins, aunt and neighbors cameby. Picture, picture and off we went to Tagaytay.. It's about a 30 minutes ride. My aunt's car which we borrowed was jampacked. Mike and I sat next to my father driving and God knows how many people was at the back..

We went to the People's Palace, formerly the Marcoses place for the Reagan's to stay at when they visit back in the 80's. It didn't happen. The place was not completely finish. The Marcos government was overthrown by the people power and the property was sequestered by PCGG(Philippine Commission on Good Government). The palace would have been gorgeous if it was finish and all. Sight seeing , picture taking again... Dylan got hungry and throwing some tantrums. I saw some vendors downstairs. Got him a juice, chips and cotton candy for all the kids. Oh boy they sure love it !

It was cold up there. I have to buy me something to wrap myself.. Then we went to get some lunch. My oldest brother Edgar suggested this place for lunch- Leslie's Restaurant. Basically you pay for the view too. We got there, they are so busy. at least the waiting time is only 20 minutes. Mike and I walked around. We found the perfect spot, took some pictures. The waiters said the table was reserved. told Mike to gave the lady at the front assining table some money. We try to bribe but it didn't work. She would not accept money.

Ok wait wait and wait. No one is taking our orders. I got up not once but twice until the manager came to our table.. Wheww finally someone will take our orders. The food is good. Not hardly any leftover. I didn't eat much. I am just contented looking at my folks enjoying the food. It will take them years again to get a treat like that ! At least I dont have to tip the singers walking from table to table, because by the time they finish the table next to us, we are all done. We all ate fast.


Then we headed back home. it's almost 6 pm . We had a quick stop to let out my other brother- lek, my older cousin Sally and say goodbye to my oldest brother and his new wife Juvy. On the car, we are teasing my nephew and niece that they need to go with their dad, my nephew is fixing to cry... He loves to stay with us in the condo.. Why??? He said, there's lots of food and air condition. And why would I not let them stay? Dylan plays with them to death !

On our way back to Manila, my dad still drives. My mom came, my little brother Marc and of course those 2 kids. It was a long day but we all have a good time. My mom, she said it's her first time in Tagaytay ! I am glad I gave her the opportunity.

And about Dylan in Philippines- this time my people enjoys him a bunch ! He shows them he can sommersault. And yeah, Mr Dyl has gotten a spoiled rotten too.....

To some it up, we ate so much over there. And how we miss the Chicken Longanisa in the morning. Walk too much, ride jeepneys , too many trips to Mall of Asia, the day at Manila Zoo, but the best part was, we get to spend special time with my family. I just love the feeling of making them feel comfortable, happy and well fed while we are over there.




America is where I lived now but Philippines is my hometown !

No comments: